We all know how good a pasta dish can be when cooked perfectly. For me, the dish warms up my heart, brightens my mood, and fills my stomach that gets me all warm and fuzzy.
Here is a simple pasta dish that everyone can try a minimal amount of effort and ingredients.
Ingredients required :
-Any pasta of your liking (preferably penne pasta but macaroni and others are fine as well)
-1 or 2 onions
-4-5 garlic cloves
- First, clean and boil 5-6 or however many tomatoes you like in boiling water. The more the tomatoes, the saucy the pasta dish. Generally, for a one portion serve,5-6 tomatoes will suffice.
- Then, take out the tomatoes and put them in ice-cold water. If you do not happen to have ice-cold water at the time, then normal water works as well. (This is to remove the skin of the tomatoes). Leave the tomatoes for a while.
- Boil water in a pot. Add a tablespoon of salt to it. After the water boils, add 200gms of pasta in it and leave it for 7-8 minutes or as per the description in the label in the pasta packet.
- Peel and chop 1 or 2 onions and 4 or 5 garlic cloves into fine slices. I personally go more for the garlic as it gives a much richer garlic taste in the pasta sauce.
- Then, in a pan or any utensil where you can work with high heat, add some oil. I normally wing it according to the number of onions and garlic. But, you can add 2-3 tablespoons (tablespoons are generally spoons that you use while eating).
- Let it heat for a while. Add in your chopped garlic first.
- Stir and let it sit there until it gets a light brown color. Then add your chopped onions. Sautee (meaning: to fry food, such as small pieces of meat or vegetables in a small amount of oil) it until it gets a bit transparent. Then, add salt (according to taste). You can add less amount of salt if you want because you can add more later. Then, stir it for a while and let it rest.
- Now the tomatoes have been cooled down. You can use your hands to take out their skin (the skin is the outer part of the tomato). After it has been removed, roughly chop the tomatoes into 4 slices. It need not be a precise chop as we are going to blend it in a mixer. Add the tomatoes in the mixer and add your sautéed onions and garlic. Then blend it until there are no chunks remaining. You can taste it and add salt if needed.
- Put some oil(2- 3 tablespoons) into a pan and put your blended sauce into it. Cook it for 1 minute in medium-high heat and then simmer it in medium heat for 2-3 minutes. ( It is important to cook the blended sauce as it is still sort of raw and not cooking it will give a raw taste). Add some tomato ketchup to it as well. This helps give the pasta an additional sweetness. Add chili flakes(optional) and oregano(optional).
- If the pasta is cooked just in time when the sauce is ready, transfer the pasta to the pan. And stir it. Add some pasta water to it as the salty, starchy water not only adds flavor but helps glue the pasta and sauce together; it will also help thicken the sauce. Then, turn off the heat and let it rest. This way the pasta absorbs more sauce into its crevices.
- If the sauce is not yet ready, take out a ladle of pasta water and store it in a container. Then, drain the pasta and rinse it with cold water (Rinsing with cold water helps the pasta from cooking) Add some olive oil to it if you have, or any other oil except mustard oil is fine and roughly stir it.
- Then, transfer it to a plate.
- Add some black pepper and cheese if you want to. You can also customize the dish however way you want!
If you have chicken, salami or sausages, or any type of meat, you can add it to your dish as well. For vegetarians, you can add Button mushrooms.
Total Views: 0