Data Deduplication is a specialized data compression technique for eliminating duplicate copies of repeating data or redundant data. Advantages:
- Reduced storage capacity required for a given amount of data.
- Ability to store significantly more data on given amount of disk.
- Restore from disk rather than tape may improve ability to meet recovery time objective (RTO).
- Network bandwidth savings (Client side deduplication).
- Lower storage-management and energy costs resulting from reduced storage requirements.
- Deduplication consumes CPU cycle on the file.
Data Deduplication service is provided by these products. ReFS, Symantec Backup System, EMC Backup System, Oracle Optimize Solution, IBM TSM and HP Backup System.