We have come up with yet another edition of the regular series of the sports snatch. As we all know, this is our regular sports coverage in which we give an overview of the sporting events that happened over the last week.
Here we go.
This week, there was a very limited football action as all major European leagues have gone onto Christmas and winter break except the English Premier League which had two Gameweeks within a span of less than 48 hours. The German Bundesliga has gone onto a 6 weeks long winter break, a benefit of having only 18 clubs, the break is of 2 weeks in Spanish La liga and Italian Serie A and 3 weeks in French Ligue 1. So, summarized below are the EPL results that happened over the last weekend.
Gameweek 18, December 26 (Boxing Day)
- All the giant horses of England managed to win their respective matches. Manchester United beat Newcastle United 3-1 at Old Trafford thanks to the outstanding display from the captain Wayne Rooney. He scored 2 and assisted the 3rd goal.
- Manchester city beat West Bromwich Albion 3-1 where David Silva shone.
- The league leaders Chelsea also managed a comfortable win over West Ham United for whom Diego Costa and John Terry Scored.
- Liverpool managed a narrow 1-0 win over Burnley with a late strike from Raheem Sterling.
- Arsenal beat QPR 2-1 with goals from Sanchez and Rosicky.
Gameweek 19, December 28, Sunday
- Manchester United drew Tottenham Hotspur in a disappointing 0-0 draw failing to score even after a dominating match.
- Chelsea drew 1-1 with 4th placed underdog Southampton thanks to a brilliant Hazard goal to comeback from 1-0 deficit.
- Manchester city threw a 2-0 lead over Burnley to come close with Chelsea in the table.
- Arsenal managed a 2-1 win over West Ham to tally points with Southampton and come closer to the top 4 spot.
- India fought back in the Boxing Day test match with Australia with centuries from Virat Kohli and Ajinkya Rahane. They scored 169 and 145 respectively to narrow down the lead after Australia hit a massive 530 in their first innings.
- In the test series between Sri Lanka and New Zealand, the latter is on the verge of winning Sri Lanka by an innings after Sri Lanka fell down to a mere 138 in reply to the 441 of New Zealand in the 1st innings.
- Similarly, the test between South Africa and West indies has started on 27th December where South Africa made 417 on their 1st innings.