Picture Courtesy: Mahan Adhikari
Accidents can happen anywhere & anytime. Accidents might be the only thing that you’ll have to face no matter how much careful you really are. Leg break is one of the most common injuries that can happen to one. And this injury is no doubt very painful and prolonged. If more pressure is put on a bone than it can stand, it will split or break. A break of any size is called a fracture. If the broken bone punctures the skin, it is called an open fracture. One can only be cautious while doing something but if you accidentally break your leg then there are few immediate measures and long term measures that can be adopted.
An individual that has suffered from an accident may not know immediately whether or not their leg is actually broken. So in this case some symptoms can be observed so that one can be sure it is or is not a fracture of leg. They are:
- A visibly out-of-place or misshapen limb or joint
- Swelling, bruising, or bleeding
- Intense pain
- Numbness and tingling
- Broken skin with bone protruding
- Limited mobility or inability to move a limb
If someone is sure that he/she has broken their leg, then there are a few immediate measures that can be taken so that the injury won’t get worse. They are:
- Keep the leg as still and calm as possible.
- Immediately apply some ice on the surface of the leg.
- No massaging should be done and the affected part must be protected by a temporary bandage.
- There aren’t much immediate measures so visiting the hospital as fast as possible is very necessary.
One who has fractured his leg has several things to keep in mind. The recovery of the bone is a long process so staying calm and patient is very necessary. Taking care or the leg and eating foods with calcium can help the process of bone formation.
The casualty period after a leg break is very hard to go through. So one should be calm, patient and do as their doctor say them to.
PS: Believe me because I am going through the same injury too.